Ready to join an International NGO working towards changing lives? You’re in the right place.
We’re currently looking to hire a Business Support Officer. Details ahead:
The Business Support Officer is responsible for the management and coordination of the Orbis Africa NPC governance and compliance requirements and timely administrative support to the Affiliate’s staff and Board. S/he plans, organises and implements the governance, compliance and fundraising administrative activities that support the Board and the affiliate. Additionally, the Business Support Officer is also responsible for the effective facilitation of Board relations.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The Business Support Officer reports to the Fundraising Manager/Head of Fundraising and works closely with Orbis Africa Board Directors. Regular liaison with Orbis International Africa will be required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
ROLE 1: PROVIDE ADMINISTRATIVE GOVERNANCE AND COMPLIANCE SUPPORT (25%)
- Coordinate required registration and reporting to various regulatory bodies.
- Ensure flow of communication between third parties, Fundraising Manager/Head of Fundraising, the Fundraising Advisory Committee and the Board.
- Drafting and distribution of communication between Orbis Africa NPC and Orbis International Africa.
- Ensure the maintenance of Orbis Africa NPC files and the security of confidential information such as financial, legal and/or staff and legal information of a sensitive nature.
- Field calls and requests from Board Directors, government officials, regulatory and legal bodies etc. and coordinate their visits to Orbis Africa NPC.
- Build strong relationships with the Orbis International Africa Finance department.
ROLE 2: BOARD RELATIONS: (25%)
- Support the Fundraising Manager/Head of Fundraising in managing the Orbis Africa NPC Board of Directors and Fundraising Advisory Committee by:
- Participating in the development, preparation and distribution of relevant materials for the Board of Directors and Board committees as well as other Board meetings
- Coordinating the logistics of Board meetings, such as setting dates; drafting agendas;
- Researching, writing and compiling materials; collating and binding of presentational materials for production of board books; and taking meeting minutes
- Preparing and maintaining a task list/action items/resolutions/decision list following each Board and Committee meeting
- Ensuring timely follow-up of resolutions of appropriate parties via a timeline and tracking system.
- Manage the administration of Board affairs by:
- Ensuring and up-to-date roster of Board Director profiles, biographies and contact information
- Administering annually the conflict of interest policy implementation process
- Facilitating all communications from Orbis Africa NPC to the Board of Directors
- Ensuring the maintenance of all Board of Directors electronically and paper files as well as the
- Directors and Officers Liability Insurance policy
- Posting all important Governance and Board documentation to Board Directors
ROLE 3: FUNDRAISING OFFICE SUPPORT: (50%)
- Provide administrative fundraising support to the Fundraising Manager/Head of Fundraising including taking and distributing minutes, drafting and distributing communication to internal and external parties
- Assisting in the regular updating of the donor management system Devman
- Ensure all tax certificates are sent to donors
- Assist in compiling donor reports and distribution of the Annual Report
- Assist with fundraising research as needed
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Tertiary qualification
- Minimum 2 years related work experience in an NGO environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Computer literate and proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and various Microsoft applications
- Project management experience will be an added advantage
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail: ability to work independently, be flexible, and juggle multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting tight and often changing deadlines.
- Strong liaising and inter-personal skills: ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with professional contacts, resources and/or networks and deal with people with sensitivity, tact, discretion and professionalism.
- Strong note-taking, editing, proof-reading and transcription skills.
- Solid research and writing skills.
- Team-oriented work style and self-starter attitude with high energy.
- Understand the legal framework and principles that apply to an NPO and ongoing regulatory and audit requirements.
- This is a challenging multi-faceted role within a dynamic and expanding NGO that requires strong operational coordination and efficient output.
For more information or to apply get in touch: send your 2-page CV along with a cover letter to HRSA@orbis.org.
Learn or teach online through Cybersight, our telehealth programme which strengthens human resources in eye health through mentoring, patient care, collaboration and mobile learning. Find out more at orbisafrica.co.za/cybersight.
Latest from the blog
First Orbis Ethiopia Country Director Receives Prestigious Award
Photo (c) Wave.com.au
Orbis Ethiopia’s very first country director, Dr. Wondu …
Sugar and sight: what’s the connection?
Loss of sight among workers in their prime earning years negatively impacts their families and communities as well as society at large due to an increased burden on the healthcare system, including service provision for the blind.
Upgraded Eye Clinic to benefit thousands of South Africans
Travelling long hours and waiting months for cataract surgery is …