We currently have one vacancy:
We currently have a vacancy for the post of Director of Programme: Africa. If you believe you’ve got what it takes to make our strategy towards eliminating preventable and treatable visual impairment a reality, read on:
Orbis International has been one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations dedicated to the improvement of eye health globally since it was founded in 1982. Programmes and projects are implemented in Asia, Africa and Latin America. In Sub-Saharan Africa Orbis executes programme in the area of Comprehensive Eye Health, Child Eye Health and Human Resources for Eye Health. The office in Cape Town has been active since 2010 supporting continental, sub-regional, national, and regional and district eye health priorities through support for service delivery and capacity building in health facilities and communities.
Based in Cape Town, the Director of Programme leads and manages Orbis’s Regional Programme Team in Africa by providing guidance, oversight and support to programme development and programme implementation in Sub-Saharan Africa. As a member of the Orbis Africa leadership team, s/he works closely with the senior colleagues to strengthen Orbis Africa’s program portfolio in the region. S/he guides program growth in scope and quality in alignment with Orbis’s global and regional strategies and recommends new programmatic investments in as appropriate. S/he ensures that the programme team collaborates effectively with the Global Programme Department to ensure effective utilisation of global technical expertise. This role is also responsible for ensuring the African programme portfolio’s complies with Orbis’s child protection policies as well as local laws.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead, motivate and supervise the African programme team.
- Deliver internal and external programmatic reports to agreed deadlines.
- Lead biannual programme review meetings.
- Lead the process to develop the annual programme plan collaboratively with the programme team, finance, communications and the Regional Director with details for each country and project annually in quarter 4.
- Lead the process to develop the annual budget for the African programme portfolio annually in quarter 3 and the annual re-forecasted programme budget at the end of quarter 2 annually in collaboration with the programme team, finance, communications and the Regional Director.
- Deliver programme support to all country programmes.
- Ensure effective implementation of the African programme portfolio.
- Collaborate with the Finance colleagues to consolidate programmatic and financial reporting on output, outcome and impact level.
- Collaborate with the Communications colleagues in the delivery of programmatic communications components and publicity surrounding the African programme portfolio.
- Establish comprehensive multi-disciplinary teams (inclusive of appropriate medical and technical expertise, finance and communications) and assign, supervise and mentor team leaders in the process to strengthen existing and developing new programmes in Africa. As needed, take on leadership role of the multi-disciplinary team in the field.
- Review and conduct first level of approval of all concept papers, projects plans, funding proposals and programme reports for the African programme portfolio and put these forward for approval by the Regional Director and/or the Global Chief of Program as appropriate and as per Orbis procedure.
- Ensure incorporation of medically sound advice and evidence-based organisational knowledge in programme design and ensure the programme portfolio is linked to broader international development instruments such as the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Ensure that global fundraising teams have access to required programmatic knowledge and information for success in funding bids for the African Programme Portfolio
- Assist in writing of funding proposals as and when needed and at times lead on the writing of such.
- Pro-actively engage with Orbis global programme leadership to ensure Programming in Africa encompasses current research, best practice and innovations.
- Work closely with Orbis fundraising team globally on funding proposals as needed and required.
- Support the Regional Director of Africa in developing and managing strategic programmatic relationships on the continent.
- Represent Orbis at professional forums as appropriate and agreed to by supervisor.
- Participate in communications, public relations activities and fundraising events as requested.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Postgraduate degree in Public Health, International Development, Social Sciences, or related field
- Minimum of 10 years’ progressively responsible program management experience in the not for profit sector
- Proven track record of managing a team for a minimum 5 years on senior management level
- Previous international field experience in low and middle-income countries, including hands-on program development and implementation.
- Proven track record in program design and implementation
- Significant experience in programme finance
- Strong organisational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and diplomacy skills.
- Solution oriented thinker with evidence of ability to provide support and mentoring to senior staff.
- Demonstrated understanding, experience and success in all aspects of programme development and implementation.
- Knowledge and understanding of public health, international development and human rights issues.
- Evidence of leading and motivating individuals and multi-disciplinary teams in multi-cultural settings.
- Ability to prioritise.
- High professional integrity.
- Flexible, pro-active, and open-minded work style.
- Strong computer skills and good working knowledge of MS office applications.
- Oral and written fluency in English; working knowledge of a second language desirable.
- Ability to travel locally and internationally; at least 30%.
Need to know:
- Reports to the Regional Director: Africa
- Supervises the Head of Programme Management, Head of Programme Development and Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
- The role is based in Cape Town, and as such applicants need to have the right to work and live in South Africa.
- This is a full-time position.
- Only shorlisted candidates will be contacted.
Find out more about Orbis Africa at orbisafrica.co.za
Please send your CV to HRSA@orbis.org along with a cover letter describing why you’re the candidate we’re looking for.
We do not have any other vacancies at this time, but you can still share your skills and make a difference. Learn or teach online through Cybersight, our telehealth programme which strengthens human resources in eye health through mentoring, patient care, collaboration and mobile learning. Find out more at Cybersight.org.
Latest from the blog
Orbis attends the 70th World Health Assembly to promote Universal Eye Health
By Silvana Vivas
At the end of May, a delegation from …
Africans Bringing Sight to Africa
25 May 2017, Africa Day, marks the celebration of …
A Vision to Defeat Global Blindness
By Africa Outlook
Millions of people go blind every year, with …